19 Feb 2014

Posted by Chirstina Rose on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 No comments
Couple year’s back I travelled down to Spain and I still remember
it was during the time of Autumn I walked down the gates of small town of Avila where I was shocked to see the wonders of 11th century which was over my head. Although I was pretty aware that the site of Avila is a roman town and was also enlisted within the chrome of UNESCO world heritage site but what really struck me was its vibe of trance that portrayed the glory of past.


City of stone where thousands sands of time walked in and passed away and every saints and native here are very proud to speaks its glory and feels proud to call Avila as their home. Nurtured within the facade of 17th century convent, which was once the resident of St Theresa, I apprehend that the site was identical with her.

A compassionate temple was constructed after the canonisation of St. Theresa and one must understand that site is closed for public but what interesting is tourist can walk up to the chapel which is located within the fold of Baroque church.

We took an initiative to pay a visit to witness her remnants and we saw near the rosary and other personal effects there was a delicate finger with a ring. As per the folklore the Finger is believed to be of her right hand.

Let me tell you it was not just a relic but within the silence of chapel where she used to pray and used to listen to tales I felt the vibe and that moment was really a brilliant moment of my life which I will never forget.

Walking down the old town all I witness was chronology of St Theresa carved on the streets, her statues everywhere was so identical to me. As I stopped near the sweet shop to try the taste of Avila which is traditionally called Yemas de Santa Theresa. After that I walked down to many cathedrals and listened to celebrated saints but the only things that were compelling and complementing my mind was St Theresa and her chapel.

After successive years of visit from there, I was riding within the wonders of India in North Kerala and there miscellany of culture welcomed me and then I walked over the bridge from Thalasseri, which landed me to a little town. It was very shocking to understand 9 sq.km space was the Union Territory of Pondicherry but was intertwined within the boundaries of kerala. The first thing I witnessed here was its Wine stores and the second thing that came up to my sight was its policeman with his classic red hat, which was memento from the French India days. Within the surroundings of Tamil and Malayalam what was interesting to note was European influence.

Mahe which is renowned for sharing its connection with French East India Company which came handy in developing its new identity sounded more poetic to me. One must understand that French man had an agreement with the native king who agreed with the commission of establishment of fort here in the 18th century. More or less every war and rebellion in Europe and India had its echoes in the small town.

Talking about French connection with the town even after French had hut back to their nation, Mahe labelled itself with Pondicherry for its French connection and became a part of the Union Territory.

While during my tour what got me going was Church in Mahe and fortunately the moment called for carnival atmosphere. Since we tagged along where people were engaged in steering the heights of angry bird’s balloons.

I reached the doors of the church and the moment I was in there I was taken by surprise because that notice board revealed the word, The Shrine of St Theresa of Avila in Mahe, the moment I read the note I was immediately elated to the little chapel that I had seen in Avila, the origin of the saint.

I was so anxious to research more about the church. The moment I got in I witnessed an
enormous crowd where we barely had a time to stick around. Within the doors of shrine there was numbers of people who were waiting for their turn to relish the glimpse of the saint. The shrine was observed with burn of the wars and during my tour I learnt that it was 18th century church which was commissioned by roman missionary who represented the Carmelite order.

I came to know that the walls of the cathedral was renovated but more of all I was interesting to know about the legends behind the scenes of idol. As per the believes the ship that was entrusted to carry the statue stopped at the coast of Mahe and was unable to ensue further and natives were convinced that it was a will of Saint to stay within the shore of Mahe.

As I was mesmerised after understanding the fact my mind suddenly travelled the course of through Rome, Spain and France all in one moment as I stood there within the small course of the India that that belonged to a Union Territory of Pondicherry but protected by a different state, Kerala.
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment